JOB OPENING: COMMUNITY ORGANIZER - Workforce, Innovation, and Basebuilding
Position: Full-time, 37.5 hours a week
Reports To: Lead Organizer
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Salary: $34k-36k, depending on experience
Start Date: November-December 2016
Work Location: Boston, MA (some state and national travel)
About the Organizations
Matahari Women Workers' Center seeks an energetic, committed, reliable, and creative Community Organizer to focus on community organizing and leadership development of women workers throughout the Greater Boston area with a focus on raising standards for workers, workforce development, social enterprise experimentation, and policy implementation. The Community Organizer will be responsible for supporting the growth of our membership base of women workers, building a strong and diverse team of member-leaders, and supporting our other women and immigrant rights organizing efforts.
Essential job functions
- Coordinate and organize neighborhood team meetings. Engage in ongoing on-the-ground organizing to build Matahari’s base of domestic worker and women worker membership, including regular street outreach, individual meetings, and small group meetings;
- Facilitate and coordinate workshops/trainings that focus on professional development, solidarity/new economy, worker cooperative development etc.;
- Work with members and volunteers to realize the goals of domestic worker organizing, including the enforcement of the Massachusetts Domestic Workers’ Law;
- Support member-leaders through ongoing peer coaching and leadership training;
- Provide accurate and consistent “Know Your Rights” information relating to workplace, immigration, family rights and other issues;
- Support logistics, turnout, and communications for actions and events;
- Provide support to shared general administrative tasks including data entry, answering and returning phone calls and emails, and making referrals;
- Assist in translation of outreach and training materials and occasional meeting and event interpretation;
- Support communications and social media work by taking photos and posting on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram;
- Support grassroots fundraising work
- Education/Experience requirement: at least 2-4 years direct experience working in the community (organizing experience with immigrants/communities of color preferred);
- Language requirement: Bilingual in English and Spanish;
- Agreement and alignment with Matahari’s purpose and values, understanding of issues facing low-wage workers, immigrant communities, and other communities of color;
- Excellent communication, facilitation, and organizational skills;
- Ability to work independently as well as in a team;
- Ability to work flexible hours, including nights and weekends and significant in-state and some national travel;
- Proficient technology skills, particularly Microsoft Word, Google Apps (Drive, Gmail, Docs, etc.), webinar and chat tools. Working knowledge of Social Media and databases a plus
Salary, Benefits, and how to apply
Salary will be $34k-36k(depending on experience level) with benefits.
How To Apply
We also accept applications by mail or fax. Apply by mail to:
Third Sector New England, Attn: Employment Manager – Tools of the Mind NonProfit Center, 89 South Street Boston, MA02111; or by fax to 617.523.2070.
As an EOE/AA employer, TSNE and Matahari will not discriminate in its employment practices due to an applicant’s race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identification, veteran or disability status.